Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Fill up, pray some more and go on.

Well, I made it through another birthday. Somewhat depressing, but finally at peace with the election results. We had an amazing Stake Conference the Sunday before the election, where a lot was said about having faith and moving forward. One story that was told was about one of the first parties to be sent to Arizona from Utah. They went about fifty miles south of the Colorado River and ran out of water. They prayed that night and when they woke up, it had rained and there was snow on the ground. They filled there barrels and turned around and went back to Salt Lake City. When Brigham Young heard the story he was interviewing a Bro. Jones. He looked at Bro. Jones and asked him what he would do if he had been with that party. Bro. Jones said he would have filled up, prayed some more and gone on. Well, I think that is what I am going to do, fill up, pray some more and go on.

I have been thinking about my Dad today. He served in the army during WWII. His brother Junior and brother-in-law, Luther Nash, served also. Dad was in Hawaii for most of the time. I cannot imagine having a husband, father or son in harms way for so long. But I think my Mom and both of my Grandmothers must have 'fill upped, prayed some more and gone on'.

Luther Nash, my uncle and my Dad, in Hawaii


My father, J.T. Hunter, my grandfather, Albert J. Hunter, my uncle, Junior Hunter.
My grandfather served in WWI. All three of them have their names engraved on the War monument in Gilbert.

My mom had three brothers serving their country during the war.

This headline for this newspaper article say "This Family Rates One Gold Star, 3 Blue". Casper Nicoll served in the Army National Guard, Don Carlos Nicoll Jr. served with the Marines and Guy Nicoll served in the Navy. All returned home except Don who was killed on Iwo Jima.
I am thankful for those who served so that I can enjoy the freedom to 'fill up, pray some more and go on'.

2 comments:

Shanan and Danica said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your dad and the family who served. Thanks. :)

Janquilts said...

Thanks for this post. We need to be reminded of all of it more often. It's too easy to give up or forget, isn't it!
Jan