Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Today I will remember my mother, because that is all I have now. Memories.

My earliest memory is riding in the car with her. I always felt safe. She had her own GPS system, we never got lost.

I remember her curling my hair and fixing my ringlets.

I remember her sewing, she made all of our clothes, I only remember three dresses that were purchased. Since we always wore dresses to school, that was a lot of sewing.

I remember her doing the books at the plant. She let me play office with the typewriter and adding machine. And she never seemed to panic when I climbed up to the top of the tanks.

I remember her making fruit cake every Christmas for Dad's customers, The batter looked like vomit, so I never ate it, besides it had nuts.

I remember she always put aside a little bit of fruit salad for me without the nuts, I do not like nuts.

I remember her reading her scriptures.

I remember coming home from school and she would be laying down on her bed playing solitaire and hiding a bag of chocolate star candy under the pillow. We were banished from the room if we tried to tell her the next move she could make. I could stretch my arm up under the pillow and grab a few pieces of candy and then run, thinking that I got away clean.

I remember her waltzing around the kitchen with us while she was fixing dinner.

I remember singing in the car with her on the way home from Yuma and trying to be the first one to sing "I see W- E- L-L- T- O- N" when we came out of Telegraph Pass. We are not a family of singers put in the car we were the King Family and our Love at Home was just a beautiful as theirs.

But most of all, today I will remember her laughter and will be happy because Heavenly Father let me choose her to be my mom.

2 comments:

Janquilts said...

Thanks for the memories.

Unknown said...

I just left a comment on Jan's blog so I won't repeat that...your memories made me cry again. I went to church this morning and the closing song was "Home can be a Heaven On Earth"...Thank goodness it wasn't "There is Beauty All Around" (That was the song she always sang to us when we were arguing with each other.) Anyway... I couldn't finish the song cause I was crying thinking about her. We had a good visit yesterday both at the cemetery and then when we went to dinner. I appreciated that.